Friday 12 February 2010

A Thank You







Although I can’t claim to have been fortunate enough to know Alexander McQueen as a person, I do know his work very well. And as he was a true creative mind, perhaps that was the best way to get a glimpse of him.

I’m still very new to the fashion world, but I’m already growing tired of paint-by-numbers collections and the safeness of mediocrity. Lee’s show in Paris, blowing away a litany of bad “clothes,” always gave me (and others) a chance to witness the magic of real art. His designs not only moved me, but also caused me to think and look at the world in ways I never had before.

Because I never even met him, it doesn’t feel genuine to say that I will miss him. But I can’t explain how painful it is for me to grasp that the beauty and ingenuity I had come to look forward to every season will now be absent. At this point, everyone seems to think his show will not happen. Is it wrong of me to feel like this is losing him twice?

Lee can’t be easily forgotten. I truly believe that what he accomplished will become a reference point for fashion in the years to come. His intelligence, unique aesthetic and bravery are all qualities that I have learned from. But if I am still doing this when I am fifty, I sincerely hope that my talk of McQueen will not only be looking back on a past genius— I hope someone will have the same balls he did, and continue the work he started.

“Fashion should be a form of escapism, and not a form of imprisonment. I wasn’t born to give you a twin set and pearls.”

No comments:

Post a Comment